Friday, February 08, 2013

"I Take A Lot Of Pride In What I Am!!!"

Hi Gang!   Did you get a flu shot during this flu season?   Pause....
If you didn't, you're not alone.   I DIDN'T and now I'm paying the price.   Woke up yesterday and was face to face with a giant flu bug.

Okay, stuff happens...The flu is the reason I'm a day late with this week's blog.

Let me please call your attention to the headline at the top of this page.   That's the title of a song that was a big hit for Merle Haggard, a guy I had the pleasure of M.C.-ing a show of his 6 or 7 years ago.   This song was also recorded on Dean Martin's album, "Dean Martin on Reprise".   I love both versions.

I begin this blog with a few personal responses that is unusual for me.   I have graciously turned down interviews in the past because I'm one of those "Just do the Work" kind of guys.

At the risk of of you great readers saying, "Bor-ring", I'm going to admit to something I did that I was "called out" on which was careless on my part and to clarify a thing or two about some things I've been quiet about.

I know.   This has "boring" written all over it, doesn't it?

Onward!

During my radio and television days, I wrote a lot of commentaries that were seen and heard.   I was lucky enough to have been awarded a few gold statues for some of these commentaries.   I was never (correctly) challenged for being wrong about anything I wrote or said because I was very careful.

A couple or so weeks ago, I was challenged by a guy who said I was wrong about a couple of things I had written and he chose to forward his complaint to a lot of other people while suggesting I might be a guy who makes up a lot of stuff in these blogs that I write.   I'm not going to mention his name, but I will say I was surprised by what he decided to do because I had voiced some free image liners for his online radio station and when he wanted me to say nice things about a book he had written, I did that (for him) on two radio stations.   Uh, huh.   Classic example of "No good deed goes unpunished", right?   In this case, it was "deeds", but who's counting?   What bothered me about this was him not simply bringing up his correction complaint to me about two mistakes he was sure I made.   In this case, he was right about one thing and wrong about the other.   He was also ticked off because of some things I had written about "Colonel" Tom Parker, but that will be covered a little later here.

Those of us who have been part of the Los Angeles radio community lost one of our favorite members when Bill Mouzis passed away recently.   I wrote several items about Bill in these blogs and I had the pleasure of communicating with him often about politics and military things because he and I were "brothers".   Before finishing two or three paragraphs about him in one of the blogs I wrote, I told him I was planning on referring to him as having been a "highly decorated" soldier and would he be cool with that?   He laughed and said, "Write what you want!".   Right after Bill died, I wrote another piece about him.   Before I began writing I spoke with a guy who (unintentionally) gave me bad information when he said that Bill had been stationed at Pearl Harbor.   The person who told me this thought it was true, I accepted what he said as being truthful and printed it.   The person who complained about this was right and I felt like an idiot.   There was another person who lives walking distance from me I could have contacted for verification (or not) about Pearl Harbor, but for reasons I'll never know, I didn't.

Shame, shame on me!   The truth?   Bill Mouzis was supposed to be in Pearl Harbor, but his orders were changed and the rest, as they say, is history.   Later on, Bill was discharged from the military because of injuries he had suffered.

Right now I feel a need to clear something else up.

Are we bored yet?

Bill liked to talk about a 2-hour Gene Autry special he produced.   Yes, he did do that, but along the way he seemed to have either forgotten something or there were things he didn't know.

There was a Gene Autry special that was done more than 7 or 8 years earlier than that.   The person chosen to do that by Gene Autry his own self, was me.   It was a 7-hour special.   I had a staff of three.   Me, KMPC Engineer Bob Maryon and KMPC Program Assistant, Marilyn Covington.   I sent Marilyn to Nashville and her mission was to try to talk every Nashville star she could find into coming on the phone with me so that our conversation(s) could be recorded.   Marilyn was a beautiful young woman, those Nashville hound dogs couldn't resist her and she would later become the love of my life.   But that's another story.   I decided on what would be played and when, but Bob Maryon, in addition to being great at editing, also had some great ideas about "order".

The people who ended up on that special were a number of our presidents, (Ronald Reagan participated just before he won his first election), singing stars like Frank Sinatra who of course did it "his way" and big name actors who had worked with and or were friends with "The Singing Cowboy".

I mention all this because Bill never said that the famous people he had on the special he produced were people that I had interviewed.   I'm assuming that the people who lifted those interviews from my special simply forgot to tell Bill.

Because of the length of what I just finished writing, I'm going to hold off on "Colonel" Parker and Elvis stuff, buuut...In a future blog, I'll tell you some Elvis related stories, some "Colonel" Parker stories that are in best selling books, stories about Parker that were told to me by people who were in charge of "who sat where" at Elvis shows and my invitation to see Elvis at "The International" in the first week of his "comeback" in 1969.

OTHER QUICK STUFF:

As you probably know, we have a killer on the loose here in the Southern California area.   A killer who used to be a cop and a guy who's made it very clear that he wants to kill more cops and family members of cops.   So far, he's killed three people that we know of with guns.

And speaking of guns...I think that most of you are familiar with the name Jim Lampley.   I call him, "Mr. Boxing".   In a note he sent to me recently, Lampley reminded me that he and I have been friends for 25+years, he's a regular reader of this blog, but he also made it clear there could be limits to his blog reading if I don't (in essence) drop the "Hammer" on the N.R.A.

In the past, I've been a supporter of the NRA folks, but like a lot of other people who have been supporters, I find myself saying things like, "Hmmmmm" when I read or hear something said by NRA leaders that amounts to, "Our way or the highway" positions.

Yo, NRA folks.   Chill it with this nonsense about our government taking your guns away from you.   Ain't gonna happen.   For me personally, I know it ain't gonna happen where I live.  Let's live with tougher "background checks" for openers.   To take the position that no "changes" are acceptable is an idiot's position.  I mean look at all these gun killings we keep reading about.

You hear about what the Postal service is going to do?   Sometime in August, unless something changes, we will no longer be getting mail on Saturdays except for packages.

Are you paying attention to this business involving the Boy Scouts?  Delaying a possible "acceptance decision" regarding gays?   And am I the only one who wonders if the reason for this might be because they are trying to make sure they've gotten rid of all the pedophile "leaders"?

BRIEF ENTERTAINMENT STUFF:

First of all, if you would like to read what I think is the best daily radio column in America, I call your attention to the daily column written by Jack Roberts here in Los Angeles.   I mean, this guy hasn't taken long at all to become THE column to read if you care about the radio and music business.   How can YOU read his column.   Very simple;   www.hollywoodhillsgroup.com   Once you check it out, you'll be thanking me.

Do you plan to watch the Grammy Awards this Sunday?   It'll be on CBS and a lot of big stars will be performing.

I saw three new films this past week.   "Bullet to the Head", starring Sly Stallone, "Gangster Squad", starring an all-star cast and "Girls against Boys", starring Danielle Panabaker and Nicole LaLiberte.

I thought "Bullet to the Head" was fun, "Gangster Squad" was more fun (I love you, Emma Stone) and that "Girls against Boys" was mind blowing.   Heavy, heavy stuff.   Not for everyone, but done well.

THOUGHTS AND OR COMMENTS:   Please write to me at scottstjames@sbcglobal.net and I'll respond to you ASAP.   Don't write to the blog because there's no way for me to know your email address which means I wouldn't be able to respond to you.   I respond to everyone unless you refer to yourself as "Anonymous".   Those emails are ignored.

THE NEXT BLOG?   Barring unforeseen circumstances, next Thursday (Valentine's Day) night, February 14 or very early Friday morning, February 15.

Meanwhile, I hope that all of you have a very pleasant weekend, a very nice Valentine's Day and don't forget...
AMERICA FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home